Prayer for Owen Meany

A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving 'I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - or because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he was the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.' these were the introductory lines that so absolutely bewitched me right since the first page.The book is a very well-scripted story on the life of Owen Meany as told by his best-friend John Wheelwright (Johnny). At the age of eleven, one tragic incident takes place - the death of Johnny's mother Tabitha Wheelwright by his best friend Owen Meany's hands that changes their lives forever.The course the book takes you through after then is a story one will never forget. There were certain points when I had to stop and re-read and then re-read particular stanzas as they made so much sense and were exponentially captivating. For instance, this one really touched my heart -"I SUPPOSE YOU HEARD THAT FAITH CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS. THE TROUBLE WITH YOU IS, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FAITH."I could imagine growing up with Owen in the story and after having read a considerable part of the story I felt as though I was living one of the characters. As though it was all happening in my life. The book is an abundance of hilarious and ardent instances that I just couldn't stop reading even when it was past midnight.There is a lot to learn from Owen Meany. Especially this, 'Faith and Prayer can do miracles.'Loved each and every character from Owen to John, from Dan to Tabitha, from John's grandmother to the Pastor, etc. Sad that Hester's character was not that well-developed. She could have been a lot more involved in the plot. Hence, the rating is 4 stars and not 5. Nevertheless, It is a story that might take ages to leave my mind. Perhaps even more. This was the first John Irving book I read and am pretty impressed with his style of writing which is extremely enrapturing. Looking forward to reading more of his books. A sure recommendation to all book-readers.