INTERPRETER OF MALADIES

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri Interpreter of Maladies was recommended to me by one of my friends who kept harping about the book all the time to an extent that every-time I thought about him it was this book that I would see swimming in front of my eyes.Okay, so I was not reluctant about reading it but coming from a person who seldom reads books, I was just pushing it for later. Having read it now, I am happy I did as Jhumpa is an amazing story-teller and all her short simple tales in this book have got me enchanted.The 'Namesake' was the first Jhumpa Lahiri novel I'd read and was quite mesmerized by her style of writing. Let me not forget to mention that it was the movie starring 2 of my favorite actors - Tabu & Irfan Khan that I'd watched first whence I came to know about the novel. So, of course I had to read it. And then there was my friend promoting Interpreter of Maladies as though his life depended on it. I started reading it leaving other books still waiting in order to shut him up really.Now, I love to read books based on Indian Literature exploring Indian names, Indian cities, Indian life-style etc. which Lahiri's novels are abundantly rich with. They give a sense of belonging and I easily relate to them.Interpreter of Maladies which of course deserved The Pulitzer Award is deeply enthralling with simple but brimming-with-intense-emotions short stories that threaten to remain in your memories for years to come. Jhumpa's exquisite writing manages to run you through the story as if you were one of the pieces of fiction in the story.The book is a collection of nine short stories A Temporary Matter When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine Interpreter of Maladies A Real Durwan Sexy Mrs. Sen's This Blessed House The Treatment of Bibi Haldar The Third and Final Continent Each story tends to leave a mark in your memory with the insightful message that it ceases to convey. This piece specifically is beautifully sad, sentimentally intense and one that makes you stop and read it again"There are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination."Jhumpa intricately defines how the characters struggle to maintain a balance between their culture and their newly adopted life-styles in foreign countries. Places, names, food, religion and everything from Indian origin are beautifully described in her books that give the reader a first-hand knowledge about Indian Culture and Traditions that make Jhumpa one of the most eminent writers. As I read it on the back cover of the book "Jhumpa Lahiri is the kind of writer who makes you want to grab the next person you see and say, 'Read this'." I am sure each one of those who have read and traveled through the myriad of experiences in this book quite agree to it just like I do.